Student Activities Fund
To encourage students to organize and / or participate in meaningful activities and foster their whole-person development, the University has set up Student Activities Fund (SAF) to provide subsidy to meaningful student projects and activities.
- Activities organised by student organisations, groups under the HSUSU or the University, or individual students are eligible to apply.
- Participation in competitions, conferences, international events and large-scale activities recognized and endorsed by the University is also eligible for funding support.
- University exchange programmes, internship programmes that are part of the course requirements, and credit-bearing activities will NOT be subsidized.
- To avoid double benefit, an activity receiving subsidy / sponsorship from other sources of the University is NOT eligible for the Student Activities Fund.
Interested students / student organisations / student groups please submit the following documents in person to the Student Affairs Office (SAO) on or before the application deadline.
- A duly completed application form;
- Activity proposal that includes programme rundown / itinerary, work schedule and / or contingency plan;
- Budget plan with detailed breakdown of projected income source(s) and expenditure items; and
- Other supporting document(s), e.g. list of organizers and participants, registration letter / proof of participation, profile of coach / trainer, etc.
*For clubs and societies under the HSUSU, applications should be first reviewed and endorsed by the Sub-Organisation Committee of Students’ Union prior to submitting to the SAO. Otherwise, the application will NOT be considered.
Applications will be assessed in terms of their objectives, planning and benefits to the participants, University and/or community.
The maximum subsidy for each application shall normally not exceed $8,000 for local activity, or $15,000 for off-shore activity, or 80% of the approved budget, whichever is lower. If the applicant has spent less than the proposed budget, the maximum amount to be claimed is 80% of the actual amount spent.
'CAT' Strategy & 'CAT' Activities
To align with the University’s strategy on student development, extra funding will be allocated to support students organizing activities aligning with the CAT Strategy as detailed below. The maximum subsidy for ‘CAT’ activities is 90% of the approved budget and shall not exceed the ceiling amount.
Community Services – Social services, service-learning and other activities that contribute to the community, serve people in need.
Adaptation – Activities that facilitate students’ transition to university education and adjustment to campus life, enhance community engagement, promote integration of local and non-local students, and/or promote a sense of belonging to the University.
Talent Development – Activities that nurture students’ talent and development in non-academic areas including (a) Sports and games, (b) Culture, arts and design, (c) Music and performing arts, (d) Leadership and (e) Innovation, science and technology.
Successful applicants are required to submit the following documents to the SAO within 1 month after the completion of the activity. Failure to do so will result in disqualification to receive the fund and the approved subsidy will be forfeited:
- Evaluation report that includes activity outcomes, suggestions for improvements, feedback from participants, participant list and at least 5 photos of the activity, etc.;
- Financial report with detailed breakdown of income source(s) and expenditure items;
- All the receipts of the expenditure items and a set of photocopies;
- Authorization form for the collection of approved subsidy (for student organisations / groups);
- Sample of programme / project materials (for publication);
- Bank account information (for student organisations / clubs and societies with an organisation bank account or a joint account held by the President and Financial Secretary.
The approved subsidy will be paid by auto payment. A notification message will be sent to the applicant / the authorized person via eCampus after the amount has been credited into his / her account.