Career-related information for non-local students

Career-related information for non-local students

Eligible non-local students (EXCLUDING exchange students) studying in a full-time locally-accredited academic programme for at least one academic year will be issued a “No Objection Letter” (NOL) which allows them to take up employment with details as follows:

  • must be study/curriculum-related and be arranged or endorsed by the programme offering department
  • duration of study/curriculum-related internship is up to one year, or one-third of the normal duration of the relevant full-time study programme, whichever is shorter
  • there is no restriction on work location, salary and working hours
  • Part-time on-campus employment is allowed up to 20 hours per week throughout the year.  However, unused hours of part-time on-campus employment could not be rolled over from one week to another.  (“Week” refers to a period of seven days from Sunday to Saturday.)
  • Summer employment is to be undertaken during June 1 to August 31, both dates inclusive
  • there is no restriction on work location, working hours, nature of work and employers

Please refer to your own NOL regarding the terms applicable to you, or visit the website of Hong Kong Immigration Department (Q20-40) for further details.

Record of Employment

Non-local students having taken up any of the above form of employment are required to provide details at the google form <Please click HERE>. The records will be checked by the Immigration Department as considered appropriate.

FAQ on employment and internship taken up by non-local students/ graduates

If the “No Objection Letter” is lost or damaged, you should get a replacement from the Hong Kong Immigration Department.

Mainland students may request Quality Migrants and Mainland Residents Section for the issuance of a fresh NOL at no fee. Other non-local students may approach the Extension Section for the same formalities. For enquiries, please contact Hong Kong Immigration Department by email to Applicants should submit a duly completed form ID91, together with his / her travel document containing the latest arrival stamp / landing slip / extension of stay label in the HKSAR.

You need to check the terms specified on the NOL whether curriculum-related internship is allowed to take during the course of study.

If your NOL does not specify your eligibility to take an internship but you need to have an internship to fulfil your academic requirement, you would need to seek prior approval from the Hong Kong Immigration Department. You would have to submit the following documents in person to 5/F (for non-Mainland China students) or 6/F (for Mainland China students), Immigration Tower, the Hong Kong Immigration Department, Wan Chai, Hong Kong:

  1. the contract and relevant documents of the internship;
  2. a supporting letter from your Faculty confirming that the internship is study-related (only internship related to your current study in HSUHK will be considered).

For details of the application procedure, please contact the Hong Kong Immigration Department directly. Enquiry telephone number: (852) 2824 6111. Email: Address: Immigration Department Immigration Tower, 7 Gloucester Road, Wan Chai, Hong Kong

Interested students should refer to information under “Q.40, Employment after the completion of studies” of the webpage of the Hong Kong Immigration Department.

For job vacancy information, please contact the Careers Planning and Development Team (Email: or visit our webpage.

Career Planning and Development
Student Affairs Office
September 2019

Skip to toolbar